Long-term Care for Your Family: Nursing Home, In-Home Care, and Signs of Elder Abuse

Elderly Care and Abuse pic, SPER

The recent news on Family Care/IRIS changes and nursing home mistreatment has sparked some interest in the care provided to our elderly and disabled Wisconsin citizens. Our seniors and people with disabilities deserve respect, choice, and independence. When your loved ones need long-term care, you want to help them choose what services best fit their needs while keeping them safe and healthy. Neglect and abuse can lead to bedsores, malnutrition, infections like MRSA, even falls and medication errors. Sperling Law Offices wants you to know your options and make the best choice.

The options for long-term care generally boil down to choosing a nursing home or in-home care. Families are advised to look at factors like cost of living in each situation, family caretaker availability, health care necessities, any physical restrictions, and safety at home.

Nursing facilities should provide extensive, around-the-clock care in a safe and professional atmosphere. The costs are more direct, but many are eligible for financial assistance and you can rest assured that your family member is in proper hands at all times.

In-home care offers a variety of options, but many of the responsibilities fall on the person who needs the care and their family to ensure all daily life activities and health care can be achieved. Family Care and IRIS (Include, Respect, I Self-direct) programs have been helping families with limited incomes choose services that encourage independence and support a respectable quality of life.

Although you should be able to trust all care providers, always be on the lookout for signs of abuse or neglect. Be in frequent contact with the care provider, and discuss any issues with your family member and their care providers immediately. The compassionate and knowledgeable attorneys at Sperling Law Offices are available if you believe your family member was a victim of abuse, neglect or other mistreatment.

Quick Contact Form

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.