Frequently Asked Personal Injury Questions in Wisconsin

Answers from experienced Milwaukee personal injury attorneys

When you’ve suffered injuries caused by someone else, you may not know where to turn. You are also probably wondering about your rights and options for recovering compensation for the harm done to you. At Sperling Law Offices LLC, we have represented the people of Wisconsin in personal injury cases for more than 35 years and can answer any questions you may have, including these:

Contact a capable and concerned Milwaukee injury law firm

From our office in Milwaukee, Sperling Law Offices LLC represents clients throughout Wisconsin in all types of injury cases. To schedule a free consultation, call 414-273-7777 or contact us online.

How long do I have to file a personal injury claim in Wisconsin?

For most personal injury matters, including medical malpractice, the Wisconsin statute of limitations requires a lawsuit to be filed within three years from the date of the injury. If the injury is not apparent when it occurs, the three-year clock starts to run on the date when it is discovered or would have been discovered with reasonable diligence.

Back to top

What is my case worth?

Each matter is unique and no reasonable assessment can be given without a full understanding of the factual and legal issues. However, we have the ability and experience to maximize your chances for full compensation in a verdict or settlement.

Back to top

Will I be compensated for my medical costs and lost wages?

Most personal injury damage awards include compensation for medical costs and lost wages arising out of the injury. When appropriate, we also pursue recovery for other types of harm, including the pain and suffering you endured and your spouse’s loss of consortium. When negotiating a possible settlement in your case, our attorneys always seek a result that accounts for each type of harm caused by the incident.

Back to top

Can I collect a recovery if I am partially at fault?

Yes, you can recover in a Wisconsin negligence lawsuit as long as you are not assigned a majority of fault by the factfinder. The award would be reduced by the percentage of responsibility that you bear. For instance, if you incur $100,000 of damages in a fall on an unsafe sidewalk but the jury holds that you are 25 percent responsible because your shoes were untied, your award would be $75,000.

Back to top

Will I have to go to court?

Often, it is in the interest of all parties to reach a prompt settlement to save time and expense. No matter how strong your case is, there is always some risk bringing it before a jury. However, if a fair settlement offer is not forthcoming, we have the skills and experience to deliver a strong case in court and prepare you thoroughly for any required deposition and trial testimony.

Back to top

Whose insurance policy pays in an auto accident?

In Wisconsin, whoever is found to be at fault for an accident is responsible for paying the related damages, usually through their insurer. This differs from the practice of many states and increases the need for an experienced auto accident attorney to protect your rights when parties have conflicting accounts.

Back to top

What happens if I am in a vehicle accident with an uninsured driver?

Your Wisconsin insurance policy must include some uninsured motorist coverage, but this often falls far short of accounting for the harm resulting from a serious vehicle collision. When this occurs, we can pursue a damage judgment action and a lawsuit against defendants so that you are made whole.

Back to top

What legal fees will I have to pay?

At Sperling Law Offices, you never have to pay a legal fee until and unless we recover money for you in a verdict or settlement. When you meet with us, we can discuss the specific payment arrangement that applies to your case.

Back to top