Wisconsin Attorneys Litigate Nursing Home Infection Cases
Milwaukee law firm asserts seniors’ rights to proper care
Nursing home residents and their families expect a safe, hygienic environment, but too often that’s not what they get. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are as many as three million serious infections in long-term care facilities each year, killing around 380,000 residents. For more than 35 years, Sperling Law Offices LLC has investigated and litigated cases of nursing home infections. We’ve encountered facilities that were demonstrably negligent for their:
- Failure to track infections
- Failure to observe protocols to prevent the spread of infections
- Failure to monitor patients for signs of infection
- Failure to aggressively treat infected patients
Our dedicated personal injury attorneys thoroughly investigate the circumstances leading to a patient’s illness, gathering evidence proving negligence and justifying compensation from the nursing home.
Common infections can devastate elder patients
The most common nursing home infections include:
- Bacteremia — This condition is caused by bacteria in the bloodstream from bladder, lung or digestive tract infections.
- Cellulitis — This skin infection is caused by bacteria, which, if left untreated, can spread to deeper tissues and the bloodstream.
- Gastroenteritis — This disease can be viral, bacterial or parasitic, causing intense pain in the digestive tract.
- Influenza — Due to the high mortality rate for elders who contract the flu, residents should receive annual flu shots or aggressive treatment if flu symptoms develop.
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) — The MRSA “superbug” is devastating to an elder’s health and highly resistant to antibiotics. Proper protocols include isolating the infected patient and wearing disposable gowns, gloves and masks when tending to that patient. Failure to maintain an antibiotic regimen for the prescribed duration can permit a deadly recurrence.
- Pneumonia — This condition is a serious problem for elders because of their weakened immune systems and inactivity. Proper protocols and regular exercise can reduce the threat of pneumonia, while detection and aggressive treatment of symptoms can limit damage.
- Scabies — A skin infection caused by mite bites, scabies is easily spread, but can be contained and eradicated with proper protocols.
- Urinary tract infections — Improper insertion or removal of urinary catheters can cause injury, allowing opportunistic infections to travel from the bladder into the bloodstream.
All of these infections are largely preventable, but many nursing facilities are unduly lax in everything from hand-washing to waste disposal. If your elder loved one is hospitalized because of an infection acquired in a nursing home, they may have a right to compensation for their pain and suffering.
Get a hardworking attorney in Milwaukee for your nursing home infection case
At Sperling Law Offices LLC, our attorneys fight for elders in nursing homes throughout Wisconsin. If your elder loved one contracted a preventable infection requiring hospitalization, call us at 414-273-7777 or contact our Milwaukee office online to schedule a free consultation.